Sunday, January 23, 2011

Proof Boris is Feeling Better

Since Boris's surgery before Christmas he has been pretty lethargic. Today I came home from Zumba to find him up on the couch. This is the first time he has climbed up there in a long time. I don't know how he got up there, it couldn't have been easy as he is only using three of his four legs.
It may look like Ivan is giving Boris a kiss, but more likely he is whispering "Get off my couch."
Also, note that while it is obviously a bright sunny day - it is also a day with a high of 2 degrees.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Finished Quilt

This is a string quilt that I made from the left over scraps from quilts I made for my nieces and nephew last year. This quilt along with the yellow and orange one I donated this past fall pretty much used up all the scraps from those projects. If only I could be as efficient about using up all the other scraps I have accumulated!
This quilt will be donated to the quilt guild to be included in the silent auction at our quilt show in October. I did the machine quilting on it myself on my domestic machine.
So far I have kept at least one new year's resolution so far - I have finished one of my quilting UFOs. Under the self-imposed rules of my resolution I could take up a new project but I have a number of other quilts I want to get finished first.

Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Mystery Continues

Picked up the latest instructions for the Mystery Quilt on Friday. This step involves making 160 half-square triangles of the background fabric and the random other fabrics I picked out for the quilt. We are given two months to get this step done so I have till March. At the moment I have half of of the blocks made. The blocks you see at the bottom of the picture are done, the fabrics at the top are cut and ready to be next.
As tomorrow is a holiday I am actually hoping to get even more done. Since I am teaching a winter course the week of Jan. 24- 28th and the regular Spring semester starts right after that I will not have much time to spend getting this done after this week.

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Tooth Pillows

The first completed sewing project of the year are two tooth pillows for the youngest niece and nephew. For those of us who were not raised with the luxury of tooth pillows, these are used when kids loose teeth and need the Tooth Fairy to pick up the tooth and leave cash. Apparently the use of small pillows with small pockets on them keep both the tooth and the cash from getting lost in the middle of the night.

So here are the tooth pillows I made. I did not follow any pattern but they are about 4 inches by 6 inches and the pocket is large enough to hold paper money if it is folded in half 3 times. The pillows are lightly stuffed with fiberfill so they are very soft and squishy.

Sure it is a relatively small sewing project - but most importantly it is the first sewing finish of the year - YEAH!

This weekend I also machine quilted a small quilt. I will be working on the binding next week and hopefully I will be blogging about that finish next weekend.