Monday, March 14, 2011

Quilt Retreat Report (Part 1 of 2)

Well as promised in the last post, I did get my 'Charm Stars' quilt finished this weekend. I finished hand sewing the binding to the back of the quilt 15 minutes before show and tell at the retreat. I thought it was appropriate to finish the quilt at this retreat as I started it at the last one in November.
On the first day of the retreat I put the borders on my 4-patch posy quilt. I did not have much of the 4-patch fabric, but it was enough for a 3 inch border. I also added a 2 inch inner border from the light greeen I used to frame the blocks. Following the no-buy challenge rules I did buy the backing and binding fabric for this quilt during this retreat trip. It is always good to buy during the retreat because we get discounts at all the local quilt shops, plus the usual coupons for JoAnn's.
The next project I worked on was the borders for my crumb quilt. I attached the bias strips I had made before the retreat to the border strips with a machine blanket stitch. I then spent some time cutting out leaf shapes to applique, I only did 2 of the leaf shapes, I have about 5 more shapes to do, but I can only use the scissors for so long before my hand starts getting sore. The leaves are just laid out on the fabric to give you an idea of what look I am going for - they are not attached yet, and I have to make a lot more of them. All the leaves are made from my fabric scraps.

No comments: